Fokker D.XXI Aces of World War 2
- OSPREY AIRCRAFT OF THE ACES – 112
- By Kari Stenman and Peter de Jong
- Illustrated by Chris Davey
- 96 pages
- 14 pages of Colour Plates
- ISBN 978-1-78096-062-3
- 2013 Osprey Publishing Limited
- Soft Cover, e-pub, pdf
- Soft cover UK £13.99, US $22.95, CAN $23.95
This book contains 96 pages including 85 black and white photos and 28 colour plates covering Dutch, Danish and Finnish Aircraft.
The contents include 5 chapters;
- Origins, chapter 1, deals with the design and development of the aircraft.
- Into Service, this section covers the aircraft’s Finnish debut and Dutch deployment.
- Winter War, this chapter deals with the Finnish Winter War of the 30th November 1939, when Finland was invaded by the Soviet Union facing 900 Soviet aircraft with just 36 Fokker D.XXI’s. The Finnish Government signed a deal with the Dutch Government for seven aircraft with a license for 14 more on the 18th November 1937. The Finns eventually built 93 aircraft on licence.
- War in the West, focuses on Operation Weserübung (Unternehmen Weserübung) and the German invasion of Denmark and Norway on the 9th April 1940 followed by the invasion of Holland on the 4th of May.
- Obsolescence, sees the Fokker D.XXI continue it’s war service, despite being superseded by more modern aircraft types.
- Appendices, covers information on; Finnish Fokker D.XXI Aces; Finnish Aces with Fokker D.XXI Victories; Dutch Fokker D.XXI Victories and a section containing an explanation of the 28 colour plates.
Kari Stenman and Peter de Jong have produced a fine book of this underrated but important aircraft. This edition is packed with photographs, colour plates and an extremely detailed text. My relationship with the Fokker D.XXI began when I purchased Kari Stenman’s excellent book SUOMEN ILMAVOIMIEN HISTORIA 3B, FOKKER D.XXI (WASP). This edition from Osprey does not disappoint and makes a fine addition to any collection.